Immediate assistance for essential financial relief
Applications for Hardship Grants will normally be to those who have separated from Army within 18 months of the application date. Any request out of scope must be for extreme or dire circumstances and would be reviewed by the Fund Secretary and Trustees.
Trustees consider financial hardship to be a situation where an applicant does not have enough money for basic living requirements (such as utilities, food, car registration but generally not credit card debt, rent or car maintenance) for themselves or their family.
Each case is determined on its merits, but will only be considered after other avenues of assistance have been exhausted. Grants are usually limited to $2,500, unless there are exceptional circumstances. Grants may be available to:
- Ex-members of the Australian Army and their dependants.
- Ex-members of the Army Reserve, who have completed a minimum of 12 months continuous full-time service and their dependants.
- The dependants of current serving Army members.
- Army members in exceptional circumstances may be considered.
- Widows, deserted spouses and dependants experiencing hardship, to provide money for the period between which income has ceased and a satisfactory financial situation has been resolved.
Typically, Trustees provide Hardship Grants to:
- Dependants of currently serving members experiencing financial hardship to provide immediate, essential financial relief.
- Ex-members and dependants who, through accident, illness or other circumstances, are suffering serious financial hardship and require urgent help.
Support will be provided in the form of direct payment from the Trust to a supplier or service and not in the form of a ‘cash’ grant to an applicant.
To apply for a Hardship Grant complete the Hardship Grant Application and forward to the ARTF Secretary.
An application for a Hardship Grant must include:
- A detailed summation of the circumstances leading to the application.
- A detailed financial statement that can be completed by an application (income/expenditure and assets/liabilities).
- If applicable, a letter of support from an Agency supporting the applicant.
- If a circumstance involving a serving member, details of Unit support and endorsement of the application by the Chain of Command.
- Details of where any payment can be directed, if endorsed by Trustees